Sunday, April 4, 2010

Art, Eyes and Eggs. . . AND an April Fools Joke Backfires. . .

Like I said in my previous post, we had a very busy spring break. It wasn't stressful-busy, just something-going-on-every-minute-busy.


Take Thursday, for example. April Fool's Day. Not a fan of April Fool's Day. We woke up to snow. Not a fan of snow, especially in April. Megan stayed the night and I had errands to run so the girls had to get up early even though they didn't get to sleep until after 3 a.m. Which means I didn't get to sleep until after 3 a.m. We managed to get to swimming lessons in downtown Boise (almost) on time after which we dropped Megan off at her house, ran a few more errands and then picked Steph up for lunch. After a quick bite to eat, we dropped Zach off at home and I took Gloria and Steph to horse lessons (between Meridian and Nampa). It was a blustery, snowy, cold afternoon and the horses were restless. It was good lesson in spite of the weather but I was more than ready for it to be over. After we unsaddled and put away the horses, I dropped Steph off at a friend's house near State Street and headed back into downtown Boise to (quickly) finish up some work at the shop. I don't think I made it back home until close to 8:00 p.m. and I still had to boil the eggs that I had promised the kids they could decorate. I was admittedly cranky by this time.


In the meantime, I had encouraged Zach to finish the picture he had been working on for Tony's birthday that he started in February so we could (finally) give it to Tony at our family Easter gathering on Saturday. I was happy to see that he took me seriously and had made some good progress in my absence:



Unfortunately, he got a little off track when Gloria arrived home. I had been in the garage helping Rob replace a part on my truck when I walked into the kitchen and found this:



Yep, he painted her eyelids to look like this:




Kind of creepy, wouldn't you say???



Turn-about is fair play, so he let her paint his eyelids, too. . .


You really had to be there, I think, to get the full effect of how weird this was. . .


I had to order them to smile for the camera because they frightened me just a little bit. . .



They kept striking strange poses and I kept taking pictures. Don't ask me why. . .





I finally corralled the kids back into the kitchen to decorate their eggs and I went back into the garage to help Rob. Thankfully the kids are old enough to read and follow directions (since I was too tired and cranky to help) and they came up with some pretty cute Easter Eggs:

Like I said, it was a busy April Fool's Day but I had (mostly) avoided getting pranked. Gloria had been trying for three days to fool me. I had plastic spiders on my counters, the scary stuffed monkey in my bathroom and a flying (plastic) bat in my cupboard, but none of these things really surprise me anymore. She finally tried the rubberband-on-the-kitchen-sprayer trick but when I asked her to run water over the boiled eggs for me, it backfired.


I didn't even know what she was planning so I think I was as surprised as she was when I turned on the water and she was the one that got sprayed!!!! Again, maybe you had to be there, but it was just what I needed to get me out of my cranky mood! I laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed!! Luckily, she laughed, too!



What a day. . .


1 comment: